Everyone knows that meat is one of the richest sours of protein and additional nutrients. However, when we talk about maintaining a healthy diet plan, it is important for us to pick the perfect type of meat and enjoy it in apt portion size.
Speaking of turkey meat in specific, one would find that it is available in the market in different forms such as whole, breast, pre-packaged slices, mince, cutlets, and more. This bird cooked as an integral part of the traditional dinner prepared on the national holiday of Thanksgiving. Not only people enjoy it for the delicious taste it offers, but also cherish it for the incredible benefits it has for human body.
Advantages of eating turkey
Find below some of the reasons why turkey is considered as a healthy food product.
- It is a great source of protein and offers zinc, iron, phosphorous and potassium in abundance.
- A turkey that does not have skin is said to be low in fat content. The white meat of turkey is lesser in kilojoules, thus offers less calories as compared to its dark meat.
- It aids in product of energy in human body as it is also a brilliant source of vitamin B6 as well as niacin.
- If eaten regularly, turkey can help you bring down your cholesterol levels.
- It offers great thyroid hormone metabolism, for its rich in selenium. It behaves as an anti-oxidant and enhances our immunity.
However, when it comes to drawbacks, turkey has few disadvantages as well for the eaters.
Cons of eating turkey
Here are some of the reasons why turkey might not suit you every time:
- The bird can have high sodium content and can also trigger sleep issues in you as it has a lot of tryptophan.
- The skin of turkey is very fattening.
Tips to get the best turkey
If you are planning to pick a turkey from the market, ensure that you buy an organic one. This turkey would be treated in a sensitive way and would not have any pesticides. Try to select a meat that is supple and avoid overcooking it. In addition to this, make sure that you use as less oil as possible to reduce the intake of calories. This will allow you to enjoy a delicious turkey and no unhealthy oil.